Recipe for Gulab Jamun (Indian sweet desert)
A popular classic Indian sweet desert made of milk solids & sugar especially with gulkand.
A simple recipe to prepare classic Indian sweet desert made of milk solids and sugar with gulkand.
Total Time: 30 mins
Servings: 12 balls
Calories: 177 Kcals
- 1 Cup milk powder
- 1/4 cup flour or maida
- 1 tbsp ghee or oil for greasing
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp curd or yoghurt
- 1 pinch baking soda
- Oil or ghee for deep frying
- 1 tbsp chopped almonds
- Gulkand (made with rose petals, sugar or honey)
- 1 tbsp rosewater
- Add some Sugar Syrup
First we are going to prepare a sugar syrup.
- Take 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1/4 tablespoon of cardamom powder
- Just add a few drops of rose water
Our another ingredient is Gulkand which is likely to be available in our home if not then prepare it (using rose petals, sugar and honey) and keep it after mixing well for few(4 - 5) days. This ingredient is also made from Red Roses.
Instructions to prepare:
- Mix together water, sugar and crushed cardamons in pot
- Boil the syrup until it turns slightly sticky. Then add rose water and mix, set aside to keep it hot.
- Mix together flour, milk powder & soda, mix well.
- Add ghee and mix well
- Mix together yoghurt and milk
- Mix this mixture with flour to make a dough, if a dough is too dry, add little more of this mixture.
- The dough made is sticky, so grease a little bit and make a ball of equal size.
- Add a small portion of Gulkand in between each ball and fold it slowly to round it up with flour.
- Make 12 balls and keep covered.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan on slow medium heat and add balls, cook till it becomes slightly golden brown in color and fry them uniformly.
- Add them to hot syrup and allow them to rest for an hour and serve.
- Garnish with chopped almonds.
Just serve and enjoy sweet indian desert Gulabjamun. "Gulab" itself is dervied from the word rose. Also gain the healthy benefits of Red Roses.