Health benefits of Vitamin C
16 health benefits of Vitamin C & sources of Vitamin C.
Vitamin C is also known as ascorbic acid found in a many foods especially citrus fruits. Orange, lemon, papaya, strawberries, pineapple are good source of viatmin c. And vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, dark leafy green vegetales, red peppers, potatoes and tomatoes.
It is a water-soluble vitamin and powerful antioxidant. Vitamin C also assists in the production of collagen, a protein that’s necessary for healthy skin, cartilage, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels. It helps maintain body form.
Vitamin C improves the absorption of iron from plant-based foods and helps strengthen our immunity system, thus protecting us from diseases.
Our body do not store Vitamin C in its tissues so we need to consume it on regular basis. How much do we need?
|Birth to 6 months||40 mg|
|Infants between 7 to 8 months||50 mg|
|Children between 1 to 3 years||15 mg|
|Children between 4 to 8 years||25 mg|
|Children between 9 to 13 years||45 mg|
|Teens between 14 to 18(boys)||75 mg|
|Teens between 14 to 18(girls)||65 mg|
|Pregnant Women||85 mg|
|Breastfeeding Women||120 mg|
Benefits of Vitamin C:
- Vitamin c prevents cold and act as natural antihistamine. Greater intake of Vitamin C will lessen the body’s production of histamine which contributes to inflammation.
- It helps heal wounds faster. Helps create scar tissue and ligaments for recovery faster.
- Improves skin texture as production of collagen supports tiny blood vessels under the skin that carries oxygen and nutrients which keeps the skin healthy.
- It strengthens the body immune system and keeps us immune from bacteria, viruses and infections.
- Its deficiency can cause gingivitis or inflamation of gums, rough and dry skin.
- Vitamin C helps reduces the blood pressue and hypertension. Its deficiency may cause gallbladder disease.
- A high intake of Vitamin C fights against cataracts and increases the amount of blood flow to the eye and helps improves vision.
- Research indicates that vitamin C may help protect against a variety of cancers by combating free radicals. It reduces the risk of development of all types of cancers including lung, mouth, throat, colon, stomach and oesophagus.
- Vitamin C deficiency may result in dry hair and split ends. Vitamin C is having antioxidant properties that reduces the formation of free radicals hence improve health of or skin and hair.
- Vitamin C helps retain the natural color of hair by preventing premature aging of hair thus preventing greying of hair.
- Good for getting stronger and thicker hair as it improves blood circulation.
- Heart Diseases - Adequate amount of vitamin c is essential to protect against damage cause by free radicals to arteries and blood vessels. Prevents build-up of plaque. This could be major cause of heart disease called atherosclerosis. vitamin c act as preventing agent for this disease. Also keeps cholestrol from oxidising which can cause heart stroke.
- Vitamin c ensures proper dilation of blood vessels which helps protect against diseases like atherosclerosis, high cholesterol, heart congestion and severe chest pains.
- Vitamin c helps reduce high blood lead level. children especially in urban areas suffer from abnormal development and growth. They may develop behavioral problem, learning disabilites and have low IQ. For adults it may damage kidneys and high blood pressure.
- Vitamin c plays a vital role in producion of neurotransmitters they affect mood of a person and helps in proper functioning of brain.