- Benefits Liver and Gall Bladder - Olive oil activates the secretion of bile and pancreatic hormones naturally than prescribed drugs, and lowers the occurrence of gallstone in our gallbladder.
- Protect against peptic ulcers - The antimicrobial properties in olives helps to control the bacteria present in esophagus and stomach causing ulcers. Hence prevents peptic and gastic ulcers.
- Reduces pain and arthritis – Compound present in olives oleocanthal helps reduce pain in patients of osteoarthritis, it has strong anti-inflammatory properties and acts similarly like ibuprofen. The anti-inflammatory abilities of the monounsaturated fats, vitamin E and polyphenols in black olives may also help cure of asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Prevents some cancers – Olives helps protect against colon, breast and skin cancer,
antioxidants present in olives and other anti-cancer compounds. people consuming the Mediterranean diets are found to be having lower rates of cancer occurrence.
- Boosts iron absorption – Olives contain a good amount of iron which helps in formation of hemoglobin in the body which carries oxygen to the vital organs of the body.
- Maintains metabolism and Diabetes – Olives and olive leaves are known to have a bitter antioxidant oleuropein, which helps the body secrete more insulin, which is necessary for glucose metabolism. Also regulates the production of hormone called amylin, which when overproduced forms clumps and leads to type 2 diabetes.
- Eye Health – Olives are rich source of Vitamin A, which is good for healthy eyes. Helps improves night vision, effective against cataracts, macular degeneration, glaucoma and other age-related ocular diseases.
- Lower blood pressure – Consuming extra virgin olive oil cut down the risk of many diseases. polyphenols present in olives are known to reduce blood pressure level. Oleuropein and hydroxytyrosol improve blood vessel function and blood circulation and prevent forming of blood clots in blood vessels.
- Benefits heart & Lowers cholesterol – Black olives are a great source of vitamin E, which has the brilliant ability to neutralize free radicals in body fat. Antioxidants content like: biophenols present in olives helps reduce oxidation of LDL (bad cholesterol) hence reduces heart diseases. Olives contains healthy mono-saturated fats, which reduces the risk of atherosclerosis (which means harden of the artery walls).
- Improves skin and hair health – Eating olives will give you more younger looking skin as it has most antioxidants and controls free radicals. Oleuropein, hydroxytyrosol, and squalene have been found to protect the skin against UV light and radiation. Oleic acid present in olives reduces skin wrinkles by 20% and makes them soft and healthy. Good source of vitamin E which helps protect skin from ultraviolet radiation and nourish skin & hair.
Olives are rich source of many antioxidants and beneficial for our good health. The biophenols in olives reduce blood pressure, therefore reducing the development of arterial plaque as well.
Varieties of olives available are naturally sweet tree-ripe Turkish & Greek olives, which have a high oleuropein content.
Some olive varieties may contain high amounts of acrylamide as a result of processing, especially ripe, California black olives.